Study of Amenhotep IV’s colossus
COORDINATOR : Lise Manniche
PARTNERS (INSTITUTION) : Carsten Niebuhr Institute, Univ. of Copenhagen
In the framework of a publication of the royal Amarna statuary, L. Manniche proposes to take photographs from the fragments of the colossus Amenhotep IV, preserved in the Karnak storerooms. It will be also important to have access to the archives of Henri Chevrier kept at CFEETK. The various aspects (constituting the chapters of a planned monograph) of this study are as follows :
- Discovery of the colossus and previous works undertaken by H. Chevrier and D.B. Redford (work completed) ;
- Contribution of the colossus to the theory related to art history, history and theology (almost completed) ;
- Presentation of the previous studies dealing with the concerned colossus (under preparation) ;
- Inventory of all the fragments known in the museums (Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor, Paris, Munich, Cambridge) ;
- Study of the context and the original location based upon the reports of excavations and an examination of the field (without excavations) ;
- Contribution of the colossus and their meaning for the understanding of the reign of Amenohotep IV, including a comparison with other studies on the statuary from various times.
• Program for the period 2009-2012
- Fieldwork in Karnak during January 2009, for bibliographic researches.
Karnak project (13-05-2013)
915435 visites - 85 visite(s) aujourd'hui - 1 connecte(s)
© 2009-2012 – CFEETK – Centre Franco-Égyptien d'Étude des Temples de Karnak – SCA / USR 3172 du CNRS
Karnak AmbaFrance Caire, S/C Valise diplomatique, 13 rue Louveau, 92438 Chatillon Cedex